About Nikki

My photo
Orlando, FL, United States
I'm a cellular biology student at UCF by day, and a bartender by night. I love science, the outdoors, rowing, and dancing. I listen to many genres of music, but I enjoy trance and dubstep the most. Also, I play too many games.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Neat!
I was chillin' on the balcony with my brother and just saw a rocket blast off from Cape Canaveral!
So I Googled it up, and this is what I got:



Delta 4 launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Base

The first rocket launch of the year took place on Thursday at 7:38 p.m. from Cape Canaveral Air Force Base.
The Delta 4 rocket is on a $464 million mission, carrying a military satellite into orbit that will help troops and unmanned aerial drones in the Middle East, officials said.
Retired launch director Ernie Baldini said the end of the shuttle program has left unmanned launches to fill the void for spectators.
"Before, with unmanned we didn't get as many unmanned launches because there's no more shuttles," Baldini said.
Even though the Delta 4 was carrying a state-of-the-art communications satellite for the military, spectators on the ground said it was the closest thing there was to the heyday of the American space program.
Source:

3 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool, all I see from my balcony is a bland looking street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a video of it with my phone, but it's just a bright orange dot moving across a completely black sky.

      Delete
  2. When I used to live in FL I would always drive out to watch the launches with my family as a kid. Good times.

    ReplyDelete